Monday, January 21, 2008

Mission Organization: Saving my office and my mind

If you had visited my house last night, you would most likely have come away with the impression that I am an excellent housekeeper. The carpets were vacuumed. The kitchen floor swept. The dinner mess was over from the dishes and pots to the table and counters. All the school supplies were tucked neatly back in their cabinet. You wouldn't even have known I did 4 loads of laundry yesterday. It was actually all folded and put away. I will confess it wasn't completely immaculate, but it was about as perfect as it gets with 3 kids running around all day.

The truth, however, is that no matter how much progress I am making with the rest of the house. There remains one area that I can never quite seem to get cleaned: my poor, neglected office. Don't get me wrong, I'm in there every day working on the computer. I carry projects in and out all of the time (bills to pay, papers to file, things to sell, school booklets and planning pages). Despite my best intentions, however, I have never gotten the mess quite under control. The farthest I usually get is to clear off the floor (mainly by piling things in the closet) whenever my mom comes to visit. I'm constantly losing papers in there and wasting time sorting through pile after pile for the one piece of mail that is missing. I have been known to discover missing library books under the piles. So what makes this time different? Why do I think I can actually organize things now? This is supposed to be the baby's room by May. That means I have a lot of relocating to do. I hereby resolve not to solve this problem by packing and stacking boxes of things down in the basement. It's time to face my mess, save my sanity, and put an end to the dysfunctional, disorganized, sore spot in my house which is currently called my office.

Here's my starting point:
Somewhere under is a beautiful working surface, I never get use.
Once upon a time, there were piles here on the floor before the last child-sized tornado came through the room.

The closet: curriculum waiting for the next student, a box of things to sell(one of many), craft supplies and paper remains from classes I taught last year, and that doesn't even count the shelf you can't see.
A keyboard I usually can't reach, a sewing table that I would like to get to and use one day, and a bunch of stuff I currently cannot identify.

No comments: