Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Math Drill Standards

I can tell by watching my children do their math work if they are mastering the concepts being presented or not. I do tend to wonder, however, if they are effectively applying those concepts at a sufficient computation speed (especially on those days when math drags on for more than an hour). I know there are plenty of math drill resources that can be purchased, but I've always thought I shouldn't have to spend money for something I can create. I've seen several free worksheets online, but I didn't know for what age they had been designed or what the time limits for completing them should be.

I basically needed a standard to fill in the details of how to do math drill. How many problems should there be for each age? How long should the time limit be and how much should the limit change over time? I finally found an answer while looking through some of the school standards for the Logos school.

We don't always drill daily, and most of the time we drill with either flash cards or wrap ups; however, it's nice to take time to stop and check every once in a while to make sure we are on track with our computation speed. I had our third grader run through our addition wrap up at the beginning of the week, and we timed each key individually. After adding up the times and adjusting for the 20 extra problems, I was happy to see that even without drilling with worksheets that she was able to meet the 3rd grade standard for addition. Now that I have a gauge to check our computation speed, I'll have a better idea of when we need to drill and when we can better spend our time on something else.

No comments: