Jessie seems to have finally come to terms with word problems and percentages this week. We squeezed in 5 lessons over the course of 3 days going over every problem in the textbook and making up our own whenever she had a problem.
Violet continued working on the fractions section of the IP book this week. If I could just get her to remember to reduce her fractions, she would have finished much more quickly.
Benny started and finished a new unit on length in the 1A textbook and workbook. On Wednesday, he began the corresponding unit in the IP book. In Miquon Orange, he started working on fractions, so we broke out the rods to work through the exercises the first day until he understood what the top and bottom numbers each meant.
Jessie finished up her book report of Tolkein's The Two Towers on Monday. I found a sticky on the computer that read "Part 1: 633 words, Part 2: 567 words. Hope you like this. I did, but that might be because I worked so hard on it." Tuesday, she wrote a quick summary book report of The Striped Ships by McGraw. She completed 3 grammar lessons on verb pairs (lay/lie, raise/rise, sit/set) and squeezed in another spelling lesson. No CW or assigned literature this week.
Violet completed a review spelling lesson, 3 more grammar lessons on verbs, and 3 days of dictation from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. No CW, cursive copywork, or literature this week.
Benny completed 3 days of phonics in both Phonics Pathways and ETC 2. As an extra challenge, we read the book Go Dog Go by Eastman over 3 days as well. He also continued his regular handwriting work. For literature, we read Castle Diary by Platt.
Latin this week was simply vocabulary review for both Jessie and Violet. Jessie had the week off from Elementary Greek.
Jessie completed one day of anatomy this week successfully passing her chapter 10 test.
In astronomy, it was a wrap up week.
Benny and I assembled his space lapbook (with the exception of one missing booklet).
We also did some more rocket launching. Using our Mythbusters inspired background, we launched our chemical rocket 4 times slowly increasing the amount of baking powder from 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon.
We marked the lines on the backdrop for each launch. The conclusion: More baking powder equals a higher launch.
There were plenty of Henry antics as usual this week. He had a blast dumping out some buckets and a small cooler on the back porch that had collected some rain water, while the rest of us were launching rockets. He's been using one of our badminton rackets to pretend to play a guitar. (He wouldn't let me take a picture, and I have yet to successfully sneak up on him.) He practiced pedaling the ride-on tractor backwards, dumped math manipulatives all over the kitchen floor, and managed to help himself to M&Ms down at Grandma's twice before DH or I could stop him. New rule for Grandma's house: Put the M&Ms up as soon as you enter the house.