Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Our US Geography program, pt. 1

This year is our first year of doing geography as a separate subject. Since we are doing Truthquest AHYS1, I thought it would be the perfect time to study US geography. I originally looked at several geography programs including Cantering the Country and Trail Guide to US Geography, perused the internet and the US Geography section of the RR catalog, and checked my library for books that might be useful. Having seen the selections, I found myself stuck. So I went back to the drawing board and decided I had better define my goals for geography. Here is what I came up with:

1. To be able to locate the states on an unlabeled map.
2. To memorize the state capitals.
3. To have fun but not be time consuming.

Based on this criteria, I eliminated almost everything I had been looking at and decided to make my own program. The only purchases I made were the States and Capitals Songs Kit from RR and the US & Canada GEO puzzle from Timberdoodle. The first purchase should take care of goal number 2. I gave the girls a choice of making either a notebook or a lapbook, and they both voted for a lapbook. Tomorrow, I'll explain how we're going to try to accomplish goals 1 and 3.

No comments: