Sunday, September 9, 2007

Meditations on Genesis 3

As I was preparing the lesson for Violet's Sunday School class, I was struck by God's actions after Adam and Eve had sinned. I had always seen God's promise to send Jesus in verse 15 where in speaking to the serpent it says "he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel." What I saw this time was God's actions speaking just as loudly as his words. First God came. Then he called. Finally he clothed. Isn't that just like our Savior?

First Jesus came to earth trading the riches and beauty of heaven for a manger of hay.

Then he called to his people "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Finally he lived a perfect life and died on the cross for our sins so that we can be clothed in His righteousness by His grace and mercy.
"I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." Isaiah 61:10

No comments: