Saturday, September 15, 2007

Can I have another muffin please?

In searching for healthy snacks without sugar that I can make for my kids to eat, I came across a muffin recipe a few years ago (sorry I can't remember where). I experimented a little with different combinations of shredded zucchini and carrots, and here is the best combination I have found:

Zucchini / Carrot Muffins

2 c. peeled and shredded zucchini
1 c. peeled and shredded carrots
1 c. canola oil
1 c. honey (We get the large containers from Sams)
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla (imitation or real)
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 T. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Grate carrots and zucchini. Beat together with oil and honey. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to liquid mixture. Bake in a greased muffin pan (or use the paper liners) for 12-15 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm now or bag and freeze for another day. Yields about 2 dozen muffins.

My kids love these so I usually make a triple batch of these. My mixing bowl only holds one batch, but I have another bowl which holds a double batch. I like to measure the dry ingredients the night before into ziploc bags to save some time. I also have lots of bags of shredded zucchini from our garden this year in the freezer to save on the cost of zucchini. We haven't tried this yet, but you can also add 1 cup of chopped nuts for some protein.

No comments: