Monday, June 30, 2008

Preliminary list of TruthQuest topics to cover

In going through the TruthQuest guides, I have highlighted the topics that I want to make certain that I cover by reading aloud and discussing with the children. These topics will get the priority for history time. Other topics can be assigned as independent reading, covered briefly in one day if time is available, simply mentioned by reading the TruthQuest commentary, or skipped. Some of the topics I have chosen because I feel that they are important. Others I have selected simply because I believe the kids will find them fun and interesting. I'll get a better feel for how much I can cover as I preread the books. (Sadly I'm only on those for the War of 1812 so it doesn't look like I'll have all of my planning done before starting as I had hoped.)

  1. The Constitution
  2. The Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark Expedition
  3. The War of 1812
  4. Johnny Appleseed
  5. Davy Crockett
  6. Santa Fe Trail
  7. The Erie Canal
  8. James Monroe and the Missouri Compromise
  9. John Quincy Adams
  10. Headin' West!
  11. The Oregon Trail
  12. Gold Fever!
  13. Back to the West... by Pony Express
  14. Underground Railroad and Abolition
  15. The Election of 1860 - Abraham Lincoln Becomes President and the Confederate States of America
  16. The Civil War
  17. Westward Ho! and the Wild West
  18. Choo Choo! (Trains across America)
  19. War in the West
  20. Middle America... and New Ideas
  21. Aloha
  22. Panama Canal
  23. Peace? No! World War One!
  24. The Roaring 20s
  25. Hard Times - The Great Depression
  26. Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Was his 'New Deal' the 'Right Deal'?
  27. War Clouds! (World War II)
  28. From 'Hot War' to 'Cold War' to 'Hot War' Again!
  29. The Cold War "Takes Off" (Space Exploration)
  30. The 1950s and 1960s
  31. From the 1970s... to Today!

No comments: