Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Book 4 of 52 in 52

It's been several years since I last read Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I remember reading aloud in class, analyzing, stopping every few lines to discuss literary devices or allusions, etc.  It was a slow painstaking process, and I think back then I vowed never to read Shakespeare again.  Never say never I suppose.

DD1 and I have been reading the play as part of her Omnibus work, and I'm surprised to say I actually enjoyed it.  It took some time to get used to the style; but there is definitely something to be said for just taking time to sit back, read, and enjoy the work in its entirety apart from the analysis.  To laugh at the silliness of the play within the play.  To shake your head at the mischief caused by the fairies.  To cheer the final outcome when all is put to right again.  It's been great to simply enjoy Shakespeare together.  We'll top it off with a video of the play later in the week.  Dare I say I'm actually looking forward to the other Shakespeare titles on our list for this year.

No comments: