Sunday, August 5, 2007

Managing our house, pt.1

I've tried FlyLady. It's a good program, but I'm not very good at stopping after 15 minutes. I had to modify the zones and weekly plan to the point that the system didn't work for me. All the email was driving me nuts.

I've used an index card system, but it was too easy to just move the card to the next day and say maybe I'll get a chance to do it next time.

I've made lists, but the size of the lists could sometimes be very discouraging. Then of course there's the problem of losing the list and having to start all over and remake it again. Soon you have 5 different lists to keep up with and no time to do anything on the list.

I've tried just clean it up when you see the mess, and it felt like I spent the entire day cleaning. I had stayed home to spend time with my kids, but every time they came to me I was too busy.
I read the chapter in MOTH when I first got the book. Well, I could never get past step 1. "Start a list of the chores you feel need to be done daily, weekly, monthly, and infrequently." The task just seemed insurmountable.

I needed a balance: time to clean the house and time to school and enjoy my kids during the days plus time to clean the house and time with my husband alone and as a family on evenings and weekends. Somewhere in there, I needed to carve out some consisent time alone with God. The question remained. Where do I start? There was just too much for me to handle.

The words of Matthew 25:21 began to echo in my mind. "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness.'" A few things. Just a few things. There was my problem. I had been trying to solve the entire problem at once. Instead, I just needed to focus on a few things.

No comments: