Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Blessed interruptions

Some days I wonder if Jessie and Violet are actually listening as I read aloud for history or literature. They are busy making signs to each other or to Benny, constantly changing seats, or staring off into space. When asked questions about what I just read, there are blank stares at me followed by pointing fingers at each other accompanied by "it's her turn to go first". Sigh.

To alleviate this problem, I decided this year that we simply needed more interesting books to read. For history, we have started using Truthquest AHYS1. Some of our literature selections will also come from Truthquest with a few more carefully chosen titles (some still to be determined) added in by me.

I was thrilled today to be interrupted not once but twice during history by Jessie. We were finishing up the last chapter in a biography of Balboa. I read, "One of the men sent to Acla was jealous of Balboa. He told Pedrarias that Balboa was plotting to become king of a new kingdom on the South Sea." Suddenly, Jessie's head pops up from behind the laundry basket where she is coloring and blurts out, "That's a lie". She was equally horrified exclaiming "No" when Balboa was arrested, tried, and executed. I'm just glad to know she got into the story and enjoyed it.

For literature, I needed to fill in about a month or so of time while we finish the explorers until we get to Jamestown for our next Truthquest literature selection. We are reading Little Pilgrim's Progress by Helen L. Taylor. At two 3 page chapters a day, we can finish Christian's journey in the next month and still have extra time each day to sit and talk about the book. This time both Jessie and Violet chimed in. Jessie asked if God was the king mentioned in chapter one. When I answered yes, Violet chimed in that the Celestial City must be talking about heaven. With a few questions from mom, they figured out that the book mentioned was the Bible, and I explained that the burden on his back was his sin.

Thank you Lord for these little moments.

"I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all of my heart; I will glorify your name forever." Psalm 86:12

No comments: