Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Considering Our Timeline

To have a timeline, to not have a timeline.

While I did consider doing a timeline for Jessie in first and second grade, I decided against it for three reasons:
1) I didn't have the time to spend looking for all the figures on google, especially with dial up and an infant
2) I didn't have the money available for purchasing any figures
3) I just didn't have the time and energy to put the timeline together and then keep up with using it on a regular basis during school time.

Fast forward to this year. I've spent a lot of time looking over the Veritas Press curriculum over the summer, specifically in history. I am intrigued by their memory cards and how they memorize the cards in order to create a mental timeline; however, I also know that Jessie is a very visual learner. When Violet memorizes anything, she seems to learn the words to all the lines or sentences first and then needs some extra time to sequence them in the correct order. What I sense is that it is time to create a frame for history to fit the pieces into, so that the girls don't end up with a huge jumble of information like a pile of puzzle pieces with no idea how to place things together. It is my hope that a written timeline will form just such a frame, and God will fill it in over time to show the girl's His story and His hand at work in the fabric of history.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the sun." Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments: