Saturday, October 27, 2007

Week 10: Just the Basics

I had originally intended to start school back up full swing this week, but it just didn't happen. I spent a good portion of my week finding, sorting, washing, drying, and folding fall and winter clothes for the 3 kids. I think all the clothes are clean now. I just need to match them up, put the fall and winter clothes in the drawers, and pack away the summer clothes. This week we stuck mostly to the basics. The only extras we did were geography and a tiny bit of history.

MATH

Jessie is thrilled to be continuing the money section of Singapore this week. She's enjoyed a nice break from multiplication and division. In Miquon, she has been learning about perimeter and area of 2D and 3D objects. The 2D objects went fine. The 3D ones weren't so bad once she actually made the figures in the books.

Violet has done extremely well with her addition work this week. Part of the time she was adding just units to larger numbers, and the rest of the time she was adding groups of ten. Her favorite part of math this week was the fractions section in Miquon where it asks you to draw something (a frown, a hat, feet, etc.) on a given fraction of the snowmen on the page.

LANGUAGE ARTS

Both girls are up to the 3rd stanza of our current memory poem Against Quarreling and Fighting. We've finished reading A Lion to Guard Us and have gone back to working on Little Pilgrim's Progress for literature. Jessie has finished up SWO D now and will get next week off from spelling since I haven't order SWO E yet. While she is doing fine with R&S 3, the grammar concepts still don't seem to be sinking in. I guess I'll have her finish up this year and then evaluate if there is a better option for next year. For CW, she completed her final draft of The Princess and the Pea this week. Violet is now halfway through SWO B. She didn't do grammar this week. I guess by the end of next week, I'll need to make a decision about what we'll do for her this year for grammar.




GEOGRAPHY / HISTORY

In geography we completed our Florida booklet and started on Georgia. In history we read about Pocahontas but didn't get around to making any history booklets this week.

No art or music this week.

BENNY'S PRESCHOOL

Benny's preschool basically consisted of a week as my helper. We did read a few books and play hide and seek with the number frogs. We sorted clothes. He came outside with me to hang them up. We picked up toys and put them away. Friday, he decided to put the groceries away while I started dinner. Most everything seems to have ended up where it belongs except I did notice the Sucanat was in the produce drawer of the refrigerator this morning. Oh well, I guess being refrigerated won't hurt it.

2 comments:

Robin M said...

Looks like a good week. Yep, I need to find my winter clothes and pack away the summer, too.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Tina in WA said...

I just love your state cards!

I do have a question... some of your workbook pages look laminated. Are they? What is the benefit of that? Inquiring minds want to know. :o)

Blessings,

Tina