Sunday, April 18, 2010

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Book 14 of 52 in 52

It took me a little longer to get into the 3rd book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Harry heads back to Hogwarts for his 3rd year after the escape of Sirius Black, who had been imprisoned for betraying Harry's parents to Voldemort. The security around Hogwarts is tight since it is widely believed that Black will come after Harry to finish him off. There are the typical school scenes between Harry and his friends or with Harry and Draco. The plot twist at the end is excellently done when the real bad guy is revealed.

Again overall, I found the scenes in the book to come across much less darkly than the ones in the movie. The books also do a much better job of balancing the more serious scenes with the lighter, more day to day type scenes. I am not overly fond of the divination class, but the students spend enough time ridiculing the class to balance out the rare accurate prediction that occurs. I'm not prepared to scrap the entire book because one chapter bothered me. In the end, I think it will give me a good jumping off point to discuss the views of real magic in the Bible versus the fantasy based magic in the book. So it's 3 books down and four much bigger ones to go.

1 comment:

Robin M said...

I liked this one. Book 4 was kind of dark.