Sunday, January 24, 2010

Organizing from the Inside Out - 52 in 52 Week 3

I first read and applied the strategies of Organizing from the Inside Out by Morgenstern a few years back when we were getting ready to move into our new house. I put the most effort at the time into organizing my new kitchen, and it is still to this day the most organized room in my house. Since one of my goals for the year is to improve on my organization overall, I decided a second read of Organizing from the Inside Out would be a good place to start.

The basic process starts with analysis. After looking at a given area, you ask yourself the following: What's working? What's not working? What items are most essential to you? Why do you want to get organized? What is causing the problem? The next step is to determine how you want to use the space, what supplies you will need, and where you will store them. My kitchen for example has a food storage zone, a cooking zone, a meal preparation zone, etc. Once you've figured out what you want, then the next step is to sort, purge, assign a home, containerize, and equalize (which just means evaluate after a few weeks to see what needs adjusted and then maintain). The second half of the book covers different types of offices, rooms in the house, schedules, etc. There are plenty of ideas to get you started. Right now, I'm working on my desk. The sorting and purging part is going to take some time, but I'll try to post a summary of what I did with some pictures when I'm finished.

No comments: