Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Poor DH

There is a danger to reading marriage books. Let me explain...

I've been reading Love and Respect by Eggerich. Yesterday, while I was shopping online for a new homeschool cabinet, I was also doing some reading (since shpping with dial up is extremely slow). I read the chapter where it was talking about how when a woman explains a problem to a man his natural inclination is to try to fix the problem. In the middle of all this DH comes to see what I'm doing. I explain to him that I've found some cabinets that might work, but they are all made of particle boards, so I don't know how well they would hold up. I showed him what I was looking at, and then he left the room. I continued shopping without giving the conversation a second thought.

Fast forward 20 minutes or so, DH returns with a pad of paper and a pencil. On it, he has drawn up plans for his own school cabinet complete with doors and made a list of the supplies it will need. He starts explaing the drawing to me and how he's sure he can put together a wooden cabinet for less than the particle board ones I have been looking at online. I tried to listen. I really did, but part of my brain was thinking about that book and how men always try to fix things. It just struck me as funny that he had just behaved exactly as the book said he would. I tried really hard not to laugh, but I just couldn't help it. My poor DH was bewildered when I burst out laughing. After a couple of minutes, I managed to get my laughter under control, apologized for laughing while he was trying to show me the drawing, and tried to explain why I had been laughing. He finished explaining his idea, and I told him to go price it.

Since I knew he really hadn't understood why I was laughing, I apologized a second time about an hour later and tried to reexplain why I had been laughing. He looked at me and said, "That's what I've been trying to tell you for years. If you give me a problem that I can put my hands on, then I can fix it. When I can't put my hands on it, I'm no good at it."

No comments: