Thursday, December 25, 2008

My Christmas Morning

3:30 am - I awake to the sound of footsteps in the living room and open my eyes just in time to see Jessie's face peek into the bedroom. "Santa's been here," she whispers. "It's 3:30. Go back to bed," I respond.

3:40 am - There are now multiple tiptoeing footsteps and whispering in the living room. I realize immediately I should have been more specific with my directions to Jessie. I meant go straight back to bed and don't wake up your sister or brothers. This is followed immediately by the sound of scattering footsteps when they hear me get out of bed. I peek into Henry's room. He, at least, is still asleep. I see Benny sitting up in bed and walk into his room. "Can we open up our Christmas stockings now?" he asks quietly. "Not until the sun comes up. In the mean time go back to sleep or you'll be too tired to have fun with your presents, " I whisper back. One down, two to go. I walk about half way into the girls' room. Jessie is peeking over the railing at me from the top bunk. Violet raises her head when she sees me. "Santa's come," Violet informs me. "If you say so," I answer. "The two of you need to be quiet and go back to sleep now. If you wake Henry up, we won't open presents in the morning." I leave the room hoping that I've given them enough of an incentive to go back to sleep.

3:50 am - My fil's dog is out in our front yard again barking. The barking wakes up Henry. I get back up to fetch baby Henry. We sit in the recliner for a bit and I nurse him back to sleep.

4:20 am - I take Henry back to bed, and finally crawl back under the covers to try to go to sleep again.

5:15 am - It's Henry again. This time I bring him back to bed with me, and we go back to sleep.

6:50 am - The sounds of footsteps, whispers, and giggles returns to the living room. I realize that if I want any pictures with the kids and their stocking that I have to get up. I take some pictures, help Henry with his stocking, and shoo the older three to their rooms to get dressed. DH goes straight into the kitchen to start coffee and then sits down to help Benny get his space shuttle out of the box. I head for the shower to wake up. I know that there will come a time when I will look back at this and miss it. For today, though, I'm just hoping that they are so tired I can get the kids to bed early so I can catch up on some sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on your blog tonight and am so inspired. It really is amazing. I have two that I am homeschooling, my son nearly 7 years old and my 4 year old daughter. I really want to look into lapbooks, but they look like a lot of work. How much set up time do you put in with printing pictures, pre-reading etc. I know my son would absolutely LOVE them. I also was wondering about the Bible Curriculum that you are using. Could you tell me a little more about it? I'm using the Veritas card system right now, but am always on the hunt for something. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that your site is fabulous! It is so encouraging to me as a homeschooling mom to see all the wonderful things you are doing AND you have time to create the blog. Phew! I am humbled! :) If you get a chance could you write me at tardyjg@hotmail.com. God bless you and your Narrow Gate Academy! Janel