- Jessie worked on converting inequalities involving absolute values into regular inequalities as well as determining the range of possibilities for an answer in different word problems for algebra this week.
- In grammar she reviewed subordinating conjunctions and interjections, worked on descriptions, and did a general review of the eight parts of speech. She scored a 94 on her vocabulary test for lesson 26.
- For literature, we discussed Captains Courageous and filled out a story chart together. Then she completed a standard plot summary of the work. For Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I had her complete the story chart on her own, and then we discussed character and conflict. In CW, she finished unit four on stanza forms and began unit 5 with a review of a poem's content and background.
- She completed one day of Latin and her 29th lesson in EG3.
- Violet completed some more textbook review this week before starting on a section of more challenging word problems in her textbook. She reviewing angles in triangle and quadrilaterals in CWP.
- Violet covered adverb clauses and how to diagram them this week in grammar. She also did a poetry lesson and learned the differences between simple, compound, and complex sentences. She scored a 95 on her spelling test.
- In literature, she finished reading The Hobbit by Tolkien. She completed her last week of CW Poetry as well!!
- In Latin, she learned about correlative adverbs, and for Greek she practiced identifying which adjectives would take an eta instead of an alpha in the singular forms.
- Benny began his section on fractions in Singapore this week. In Miquon he covered Venn diagrams and some other miscellaneous topics.
- He's been working on descriptions in grammar and struggled on his spelling test covering words with ie, ei, and eigh. We'll work on that list again next week.
- He finished reading Follow My Leader by Garfield and began Peter Pan by Barrie. We continuing with our Happy Hollister book for a read aloud. In CW, he rewrote "A Laconic Answer".
This week everyone read SOTW 4 to cover Stalin's rise to power and the formation of the USSR as well as the rise of Mussolini and fascism in Italy. We read books by Venezia on Picasso and Klee for modern art. The girls read Ticket to the Twenties by Blocksma for a look at the culture of that decade. We mapped the modern countries that made up the former USSR as well.
Jessie read and took notes on chapter 6 of BJU Physical this week covering the nature of energy, types of energy. and the conservation of energy. She also completed a calculation based lab looking at the correlation of braking distance and speed in a simplified system.
Violet and Benny continued there section on food chemistry. They learned about proteins, fats, and carbohydrates; flavoring; and food additives. We made chocolate chip cookies with and without baking soda for comparison and will make some chocolate flavored pudding over the weekend for fun.
See the previous post for art. All the logic assignments were completed. Benny is finished with all of his critical thinking books for the year!!
Henry and I read random books of his choice this week, did some phonics lessons, worked some more on shapes, and completed some writing and drawing on his drawing board. His favorite part of the week was watching the new Curious George special about spring. He asked me to take a picture of his musical instrument.