Friday, July 13, 2012

Literature list for 8th Grade

This is my preliminary list for Jessie's upcoming year.  Most of the books on the list I have read but it's been awhile, so I'm planning to read through as many this summer as I can.  As I read, I expect to move a few books between lists and I'll probably need to add more books to the lower list simply because Jessie reads so quickly.  If you have any other suggestion, please leave a comment.

Books for deeper analysis and discussion.
  • Pilgrim's Progress by Bunyan
  • Pride and Prejudice by Austen
  • Oliver Twist by Dickens
  • A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens
  • Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Stevenson
  • The Time Machine by Wells
  • The War of the Worlds by Wells
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Twain
  • The Call of the Wild by London
  • White Fang by London
  • The Yearling by Rawlings
  • Where the Red Fern Grows by Rawls

Books to discuss after reading independently
  • Rob Roy by Scott
  • Ivanhoe by Scott
  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
  • Children of the New Forest by Marryat
  • The Coral Island by Ballantyne
  • Captains Courageous by Kipling
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles by Doyle
  • Cheaper by the Dozen by Gilbreth
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Bradberry
  • Old Yeller by Gipson
  • A Watership Down by Adams
  • The Never Ending Story by Ende

No comments: