Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Four Year Geography Plan

While we have always done lots of mapwork in conjunction with history, I wanted to create a more consistent system of covering current geography with the kids. After kicking around the idea in the back of my mind for a couple of months, I believe I have the beginnings of a plan. The idea is to create a four year cycle of geography that roughly coincides with our history studies while distributing the workload as evenly as possible. Here's our 4 year breakdown:

Year 1: Middle East and Africa
Year 2: Europe and the remainder of Asia
Year 3: North America, South America, and Australia
Year 4: US States

My plan for now is to keep it fact focused (similar to the US lapbooks that we created). While I think the girls would be interested in learning about other cultures, I think we have enough on our plate now without adding a culture study. I'll post more details as I pull everything together, hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

No comments: