Friday, March 6, 2009

Week 29: A Lighter Week

OK, I admit it. We slacked off a bit this week. I wanted the kids to be able to play outside in the snow Monday and Tuesday before it melted, and I had spent the entire weekend getting some clothes ready to consign to I needed to catch up on the house. Then towards the end of the week, Jessie's been sick so we cut back even more. Here's a look at what we did accomplish.

MATH

Jessie finished up the section on operations with decimals in the textbook and workbook on Tuesday without any problems. Then she had a couple of days of review pages before starting the corresponding section in the Intensive Practice today. Although she's sick, she didn't mind keeping up with the basics because she's already starting to look forward to spring and summer breaks from school. I don't think she'll have any trouble coming up with things to do this year.

Violet has been doing review all week. She has now completed both the Singapore 2B textbook and workbook as well as the green Miquon book. In Miquon, she's moved on to the yellow book. In Singapore, she has some final reviews in the Intensive Practice book to complete next week before she's ready to move on to the next level.

LANGUAGE ARTS

Jessie made it through another spelling lesson. I think she's starting to adjust to the more demanding level G book because I heard far fewer complaints and questions that the previous few weeks. In grammar, she's completed the section on adverbs and scored perfectly on her test. Today we started a new section on punctuation. She's still reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Lad, a Dog and seems to be enjoying them both. We did some dictation this week, but not every day and not as much as usual. The only LA area that I was determined to get to this week was CW. We finally finished editing "Little Red Riding Hood". I'm not getting the kind of variety of adjectives and adverbs that I would like to see in her descriptions, so I'll probably read back through the instructions for the last level of writing and see if I've missed something there. It may be that we need to spend some more time analyzing the story before we write.

Violet has also been working on adverbs this week for grammar. For reading, she completed All of a Kind Family and has moved on to The Twenty One Balloons. She's continuing to read from The Blue Fairy Book, but got one day off from reading because I didn't get a chance to plan anything for Thursday. I think we got in 2 days of copywork, and one day of dictation.

History - we took the week off.

SCIENCE

I had planned to do science on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday after letting the kids play in the snow two days. We did start learning about fish on Wednesday, but I chose to skip science Thursday and Friday after Jessie became sick. No pictures to post because we only have a partial booklet completed.

LATIN and ASL

We learned the rest of the prepositions this week that take the accusative case for their object. I'm hoping next week is a review because I really could use another week to catch up on vocabulary and so could Jessie. We didn't formally do any ASL this week. I picked up a couple of ASL books at the library, and the girls looked through them and learned a few things on their own.

ART and MUSIC

Both girls drew fish this week. The striped one is Jessie's, and Violet drew the pufferfish. No music.

BENNY'S PREK

Benny is doing great. He's mastered counting by tens. He still struggles a bit counting by ones, but I think it's more of an attention issue than anything else. We're still working on remembering Thursday. He did 3 days of phonics in PP this week. Then Thursday and Friday we switched gears and read some Bob books instead. The only downside to the books is that he would rather look at the pictures and guess the words than take time to sound them out. If I remember correctly from teaching the girls, in a couple of weeks it won't matter anyway because he'll have memorized the books from reading them so often. For read alouds this week we focused on frogs. I've given up on the geography portion of the reading schedule simply because Benny isn't really interested. No craft this week. (At least none that I planned.) He's made several different crafts and drawings on his own, but I don't have any pictures to post.

No comments: