Monday, March 23, 2009

A good education? - part 1

As parents we want what is best for our children. Naturally, when we decide to homeschool, we want to make the best choices possible in order to provide our children with the best education possible. What makes a good education? If a person can read, write, and manipulate numbers to solve a problem, are they educated? Do they further require a foundation of knowledge in matters of history, science, and current events to be able to converse intelligently regarding any number of topics? What about character and principles which seem sadly lacking in today's society? Where does faith take its place? When and how should these things be learned?

As valid as many of these questions are, I believe if I am honest with myself that truthfully they miss the point of educating. It is very easy as a new homeschooling parent to jump right in with both feet and start thinking about curriculum content. There are plenty of experts with opinions on what should be taught and even how it should be taught. If I am truthful, I must first recognize that education isn't about what, it's about who. Furthermore that who is not me. It's not about what I want. In my family that who is each one of my children individually. Psalm 139:13 declares, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." God has blessed each of my children with their own unique personalities. They have different strengths and weaknesses. They are interested in different things. Jeremiah reads "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." God has a plan for each one of my children. A path stretching from now through eternity who course it known only to Him who directs it.

The hardest part about starting to homeschool is not jumping in unprepared. I'm always ready to plan or to research. If I truly want to provide the best education to my children, I need to start in prayer to the One who knows my children the best.

No comments: