Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Joy of Teamwork

Normally, I prefer to only have one helper in the kitchen at a time. It allows for closer supervision, more work space, and fewer chances of someone's foot getting stepped on accidentally (not to mention fewer spills to clean up:) ). Yesterday, I'm glad that I made an exception.

During history we began learning about the movement of pioneers into the Great Plains after the Civil War. Our focus for the day was the sod houses where they lived. I had found this really neat looking project in one of our library books which took what was basically a brownie recipe and showed you how to build a model sod house. In order to let everyone participate (except for Henry of course), I decided that we would all work together as a team. Each of them cracked an egg or two to start, then moved on to their assigned jobs. Jessie measured the brown sugar and greased the pan. Violet measured the flour and the coconut. (What's a sod brick without any grass?) Benny added the cocoa and the water. I mixed it up, put it in the pan (nearly forgetting to add the melted butter, of course), and put it in the oven to bake. For assembly of the house, Benny was in charge of the back wall, while the girls each built on of the side walls. Everybody added a bit to the roof. The result, three very happy children who each felt equally proud of their work (and naturally equally as eager to eat it after dinner).

It was great to see them working as a team. I just might have to start making more exceptions to my rule.

No comments: