Sunday, August 17, 2008

Changing up literature... The Result

I must say that overall, I was very impressed with our first week of literature. I had a few misgivings about the Shakespeare book for Jessie so we discussed who the characters were on Tuesday before I handed her the book. She loved it and can't wait until next Tuesday for another story. I was impressed by her narration. She seemed to have a good grasp of the storyline despite my worries that it might be a bit hard for her. Jessie is also enjoying Pollyanna although a bit disappointed that I won't let her read through it any faster. I'm not sure what she thought about Parables From Nature, but she didn't complain about it. She did an excellent job with all of her narrations and loves the new literature format so far.

Violet was excited about reading The Blue Fairy Book. She's not as excited about the other two selections (she wants to read Pollyanna instead), but she isn't complaining about reading when the time comes. She is, nonetheless, off to a great start. I had some misgivings when I set up the schedule about having Violet read books one morning and not narrate them to me until the following morning. Tuesday, it took several questions to get her started talking about the first 3 chapters of Pinocchio. By the end of our discussion, however, both of us were surprised at how much she remembered. She had a little bit harder time retelling the fairy tale from The Blue Fairy Book to me on Wednesday. I'm wondering if she read the pages that I printed off the internet out of order towards the end of the story because they weren't put back in the folder correctly. This week I'll number the pages just to be sure, and hopefully it looks like the following week I should be able to get a copy from the library.

No comments: