Friday, July 15, 2011

Schedule for 2011-2012

I think I have struggled more with creating a schedule this year than any other for a variety of reasons.

1.  When I wrote my initial lists of what I wanted each of my kids to accomplish, the corresponding list of how much time that required of me, and added off the numbers I knew we were in for a rough start.  After a great deal of prayer, prioritizing, and regrouping I finally got every one's workload down to what I believe is a manageable level without packing the schedule so tightly that it is stressful. 
2.  One of the biggest changes I made was to set up Jessie's work in larger blocks of time.  This gave us a good compromise between her wanting more input on when she did her work and my need for set times to check her work and work with one on one.  Within each block, she is free to work on her assignments in any order that she chooses.
3.  I also tried to give Jessie more input on her schedule this year.  It was her decision to keep her morning playtime with Henry and to start 10 minutes later than last year.
4.  Scheduling resources was also more difficult this year.  The girls needed separate times for Latin due to the DVD instruction, for history since they will both be reading some of the same resources, and for writing and history so the computer is available for assignments (although I probably will start Violet off writing by hand and transition her to the computer over the course of the year.)

Here's the result:

Now, I just need to finish up the lesson plans.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

I just found your blog yesterday.
Thank you so much for the lessons you shared on SM, FLL, and Homer!!! You have a great blog.
Do you happen to have a lesson for SM 6A&B?

Kristie

Kristie said...

I just found your blog yesterday.
Thank you so much for the lessons you shared on SM, FLL, and Homer!!! Thank you! Thank you! You have a great blog. I hate to ask for one more thing, but
do you happen to have a lesson plan for SM 6A&B?

Kristie

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Hello!
I've just come via your blog after looking for links to MOTH, then via the WTM board.
I love the look of your schedule! And your children are of similar age to mine, so it gives me a good idea of how this all works for you.
Thank you for sharing!

I'll be back. :)

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Yay ... I got my schedule coming together now. Thank you for your inspiration. :)